Thursday, November 8, 2012

Faux Antiquing: How to Antique Furniture

An online tutorial on faux antiquing: in other words, do-it-yourself instructions for restoring and refinishing old furniture to look antique.

Here it is, a step-by-step guide to faux antiquing for beginners like me!

It's like magic.

From this . . .
. . . to this! Bam!

Materials:
  • old piece of furniture
  • plenty of sandpaper or a sander (with grit coarse enough to strip old finishing)
  • steel wool (coarse) or (again) sander
  • a candle/chunk o' disposable wax
  • ink/permanent marker (optional)
  • 1 can paint (base coat, latex)
  • 1 container glaze
  • a paintbrush (and little roller, helpful for bigger items)
  • screwdriver
  • rags

Step 1: Remove Hardware & Prep Workspace
Remove knobs, handles, screws, hinges, etc. from the piece and set aside. Set your piece in a good working space where you can paint and make a decent mess. Clean up for us was super easy; we spread out an old bed sheet in the room over some plastic tarp/tablecloth-type stuff and threw it all out when we were done.



Step 2: Protect Unpaintable Areas
Cover up any mirrors or places you don't want to paint. I didn't have masking tape or anything, so I tucked some saran wrap into the corners of this mirror and it worked beautifully:

 
Step 3: Sand
 Remove the old finish/varnish. With this piece, I wanted the dark stain to show through, but I took off the shiny varnish layer so the paint would stick. This took a while, but it was a pretty big piece. After sanding, vacuum up the sawdust and wipe down the wood with a damp rag for a clean painting surface.



Step 4 : Ink Corners (Optional)
I brushed some Indian ink around the corners to show through. It was an experiment, but it looked pretty cool in the end. You can also use a permanent marker to add some black touches on the finished product, but I think that looks better on carvings and more intricate designs. This piece didn't have much flare in the woodwork to accent, so I just focused on edges.



Step 5: Wax
Not your legs. Because you'll be removing paint from certain areas to give the piece a worn, antique-ee look, you use the candle to rub on the corners and areas where you want the paint to come off easily. This step was really helpful; once the paint dried, it took a lot of elbow grease to scratch it off again, but you could tell where the wax was. It really worked.



Step 6: Painting
The fun part: painting! I got a whole gallon of paint, but I didn't even use half the can for two coats on this massive piece of furniture. I chose a shade of humble gray and a taupe glaze, which really warmed it up in the end. I painted in the morning and scraped some off at (see the next step) night, and that was enough time for the paint to dry.

Coat One
The saran wrap was a go! Worked like a charm.
Coat Two
Don't forget the doors!

Step 7: Get that Worn Out Look
Use the steel wool to scrape off your base coat where you want the piece to look worn out: corners, around hinges and handles, etc. It looked kinda lame with such new-looking paint, but using the glaze really helped. I hated it at this point, but I loved it when we were done . . . so don't give up yet!


Step 8: Glaze
This is when my husband joined in to help me glaze. He went around painting the glaze on and I followed him with a rag. We used the rag-rolling technique, removing the glaze and texturing with a rag. I used an old towel with a good cotton-y grain to it.

*Note: The finished product had kind of a chalky, matte texture. I think it would have been awesome to spray or paint a coat of lacquer over it for some gloss and protection. I also hear that using a finishing wax (wax on, wax off) like Minwax® Paste Finishing Wax is a good protecting agent that also smooths out the finish.


And let it dry!

Viola!
The finished product: a new place for books.

That was that. On the Monday before a Saturday housewarming party I picked up two halves of a large piece of beat up furniture ($15 per half) at Savers. I bought paint and materials on Tuesday (for about $60), sanded on Thursday (4 hours), prepped and painted and glazed on Friday (8-10 hours), and it was ready to put up on Saturday morning (although it wasn't totally dry for the party).

A really fun project. Totally recommend it.


*After three years, I just sold this piece to a young couple. Last week, actually. A young New Yorker bought it for his wife's birthday. They had a cute four-month-old. So while I miss this piece, I'm happy it's in a good home. And I filled the space with a bomb.com retro table and chairs. And if I kept everything I made, I'd end up on Hoarders.

3 comments:

  1. Interesting re-do! I'm amazed at the transformation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for posting such a great article! I found your website perfect for my needs. It contains wonderful and helpful posts. Keep up the good work!
    cream leather sofa set

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have an old waterbed headboard that I hate the color! I would love to do that to!!

    ReplyDelete