Monday, November 12, 2012

How to Make a Braided Rag Rug

Welcome, all ye good people, to a how-to instruction guide to make a braided rag rug out of old/repurposed t-shirts! DIY or bust!


STEP 1:  Collect old t-shirts in the colors you fancy.
33 t-shirts @ $0.65 each @Goodwill Outlet Bins

STEP 2: Allow family members to steal shirts for wearing purposes.
  
STEP 3: Cut up t-shirts into 2" strips with rotary cutter and mat.

STEP 4: Braid strips together, mixing colors or using one color/tee at a time.

STEP 5:  Sew braids together in a circle on a flat surface by hand or machine.
Sew on a flat surface.
Hand-sewn Stitches
NOTE: If the braids are too small (1" like in the photo below), the rug will be more susceptible to ruffling/lettuce-leafing/curling. (Not great. I started over with 2" strips for a thicker, more sturdy rug, sewing on a flat surface (table, board, floor) this time to avoid rumples.


BLOCKING: If the rug is warped, wrinkly, wavy, or curling up in places, you can block it like you would a knitting project. Get it wet and lie it flat in the shape you want it. You can even lie a sheet over it with bricks, books, or any flat, heavy objects holding the rug in shape and pressing down and warpage. Let it dry like this and it should keep its shape.

WASHING: The finished product can be machine washed (use a laundromat triple-loader for larger rugs) or soaped and hosed down, then dried flat in the sun on a driveway.
This round glass table was a perfect working space for keeping the rug flat.

9 comments:

  1. I've been looking for something like this. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do u think u could use a hot glue gun to attach it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A glue gun might work--I'm not sure; I wouldn't recommend it. I know hand sewing takes forever! I just wonder if the dried glue would make the rug pokey to walk on and stiff. The less malleable rug might also be difficult to clean or wash. You could always test it on a small braid chain and see what you think. Let me know if you try it!

      Delete
  3. is that a three strand braid?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know, but you could probably do any kind you want

      Delete
  4. I'm so excited to do this! But since I'm not a great sewer, I'm going to use small strips to tie two braids together, so the ends end up on the back...when I'm done one side will be a flat braided rug and the other will be a soft bumpy, fluffy rug!


    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a question. I have been trying to do this but i couldn't get the strips to stay. Do you sew the tops or something?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Has anyone used the hot glue gun verses the sewing method to put the braids together. I have a very large rug I would like to finish with the glue method but would like to know if it holds up, is awkward to walk on as suggested etc..

    ReplyDelete