Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Vogue Baby Mittens


I can say these are Vogue baby mittens because I learned how to make them from my handy dandy Vogue Knitting on the Go! Beginner Basics book.

Two reasons these mittens were a big step for me in my knitting career:

1) This is the smallest yarn I've ever attempted knitting with--Patons Kroy Socks super fine for 3.25mm needles (does that mean anything to anyone?). I guess you can't tell how big the yarn and needles are from the picture, but they're tiny!

2) Even though I've been knitting since I was 8, making blankets and scarves and hats, I've never used a pattern. I like doing my own thing and have rejected patterns most of my life (in more than one way)--maybe that's why piecing quilts is so tedious to me. I didn't even know how to read a knitting pattern until looking it up in this little Vogue knitting book, which is the most clear and helpful knitting book I've ever referenced. Highly recommend.

However, I did adjust all the numbers in this pattern because I used finer yarn and smaller needles to make the mittens 0-3 months size instead of 6 months.

3) My whole life I've just knit knit knit in the garter stitch. I actually used a stockinette stitch for the mittens with ribbing around the cuffs after practicing pearling while making a blanket. Progress! After 16 years of knitting, I have finally learned something new. Revolutionary, isn't it?


Because this yarn is so freakin' small, I thought these would take forever, but then I realized, the mittens themselves are also very small. They didn't take as long as I thought, so I proceeded to make several pairs that were never worn because baby's don't like wearing mittens. Who knew?

No comments:

Post a Comment