Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Bean's Baby Blanket


I made this blanket for my first son during my first pregnancy. I'm not huge into baby blues and pastels, maybe because I reject those colors when it comes to my own wardrobe. Earth tones and jewel tones are more friendly to me, and figured my boy would have a similar complexion. I liked the earthiness of these colors--the mustard yellow especially.

I've never used 100% cotton yarn before and I'm happy with it--it's very soft and it washes well, but man, it takes a long time to air dry because it's so absorbent. I washed it on a delicate cycle with the blanket in a mesh bag to keep it from stretching. Laid it flat to dry fearing the dryer would destroy it.

Even though this cotton is pretty washer-friendly, a polyester might be more durable in the long run and keep it's shape better--but it definitely wouldn't be as soft and warm. I'm pleased with the cotton overall. There's something pleasant and warm and natural about cotton.



I was also excited because I wasn't sure if the blanket would be wide enough or too long. But, incredibly, when I ran out of yarn and tied the project off, I was amazed to find that that it's the exact dimensions of a standard crib. Crazy!

So happy knitting season! It's cold out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment